Updated 05/21/2012 05:25 PM
Click It or Ticket campaign kicks off
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
CONCORD – An aggressive new “Click It or Ticket” campaign is underway across North Carolina. It's an annual two-week campaign to reduce the number of deaths each year blamed on a person not wearing a seat belt.
The North Carolina Highway Patrol held a news conference at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord Monday to say they will aggressively go after people not wearing seat belts.
In the sea of law enforcement officers was one woman in a wheelchair.
"Three seconds can effect your entire life time," said Lisa Mozingo.
Mozingo's message spoke loudest on the importance of wearing your seat belt.
"I was going down a dirt road at night, so I didn't think there was a need to wear a seat belt," said Mozingo, "...when I hit soft sand in a curve and flipped my Jeep."
Pictures illustrate the powerful impact from the May, 2009 crash.
"I was thrown out because I wasn't wearing a seat belt and I was immediately paralyzed. I broke my back and pulled my spinal chord apart," said Mozingo.
She is now spreading the message to whomever will listen.
"Every day for the rest of her life she deals with that one decision," said NCHP Commander Col. Michael Gilchrist.
The campaign message is simple, with life changing consequences.
"Because I didn't spend three seconds to reach over and put my seat belt on. I will be paralyzed and in a wheelchair for the rest of my life," said Mozingo.
The North Carolina Department of Transportation says last year 397 people died in car crashes who were not wearing their seat belts.