Round 2 of Wake Co new assignment plan results to be released
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
CARY, N.C. -- More Wake County parents will find out where they're child is going to school next year Thursday. The school system will post the school assignment results for families who participated in choice round two of the new student assignment plan.
Families who still have a student on the waiting list from the first choice round should know their child's assignment by the end of the day. But as we've heard from parents, the process has created headaches for some families.
Earlier this week, dozens of people protested outside the school board meeting, making it known they're unhappy with the new school selection process.
"It kind of divides neighbors. People that live on the same street are going to end up at different schools," said Elise Ellis, a south Raleigh parent. "If somebody has a certain desire, it's not clear how to get that choice."
Many families call it confusing, complaining the process wasn't fully explained before the selections got started. Superintendent Tony Tata thought school leaders did a good job spelling it out, but he's willing to make the process more clear.
"What we're going to do, we're listening to the parents who are talking about, 'well I didn't understand the plan as well as I might should have.' We own that and we're going to try to figure out how to explain it better and make it better for them," he said.
Some families complain students who did not get their first choice school are essentially put into a lottery for their remaining four choice schools. Other families are satisfied with the process.
"The current assignment plan is better than the old one," said Apex parent Lou Tapper.
The results will be online starting Thursday afternoon.