GASTONIA - Four days after fire destroyed a popular Gastonia restaurant, the community came together to help the affected employees get back on their feet.
The fire broke out early Tuesday morning at the Longhorn Steakhouse on Cox Road.
Investigators said it started in the kitchen area, likely do to faulty wiring in the ceiling.
"Being with the company for so long, it was like your house burning down," said employee Carrie Massey.
Saturday, hundreds of loyal customers turned out for a bake sale, with donations going to help their favorite servers, hostesses and cooks bounce back.
"They're like family,” said patron Lucille Rankin. “I wouldn't have it any other way than to be here and support them.”
"This is just to kind of get us started to where we can go out and make it through until we can come back," added Massey.
Longhorn is working to re-assign the impacted employees to other locations but it's still uncertain whether or not it will rebuild the Gastonia restaurant.
Employees said they're hopeful.
"When and if it happens, it will be bigger and better than anything I've ever seen," said employee Jayne Clark.
Wednesday, October 24, the Buffalo Wild Wings in Gastonia will donate 20 percent of its sales to the Longhorn workers.