CHARLOTTE—With six weeks to go until the Democratic National Convention, the Mecklenburg County Courthouse released its plan of attack on Tuesday to process unruly protesters and other offenders as quickly and efficiently as possible that week.
Trial Court Administrator Todd Nuccio said all offices will be open but working on a skeleton schedule to better accommodate court staffers.
"It'll be a fraction. Probably five to ten percent of the caseload will still be heard and it's the mandatory types of hearings that must proceed, primarily on the criminal side," said Nuccio.
First appearances will dominate the court schedule that week, even on the Monday Memorial Day Holiday. Nuccio also doubled the number of magistrates on duty.
Operations will start to slow down at the courthouse as early as August 29 when the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department and other local law enforcement agencies start their "12 hours on / 12 hours off" schedule for convention activities.
"My hope is the court will be a very quiet place during the week of the DNC" said Nucio.
152 people were arrested during the 2008 convention in Denver.
Secret Service released some security details for the Republican National Convention in Tampa, but so far, not such details released for the DNC.