SERVES: makes 20-24 crostini
• 8-ounces defrosted frozen peas, well drained
• 1 tsp minced garlic
• 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
• black pepper to taste
• 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus 1-3 Tbs as needed)
• approx. 5-6 ounces sliced smoked deli ham
• 1 baguette cut into 1/2-3/4 inch crostini
• olive oil for brushing crostini before toasting
• Dijon mustard as needed (approx. 1/2 tsp per crostini)
1. Add the peas to the bowl of a food processor, and add 1 tsp finely minced clove of garlic and 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, add a good crack of black pepper, and then add 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil to start and puree to desired consistency. (see hints below)
2. For the crostini, slice the baguette on a slight bias into 1/2-inch thick slices. Place those on a baking tray, brush both sides with olive oil, and then place the tray underneath the broiler.
3. Flip the bread over part way through so that both sides are nicely browned, and then it's time to assemble the crostini.
4. Spread a little Dijon mustard over the top of each crostini and then top each one with a layer of the sliced smoked ham and finish with a dollop of the pea pesto right on top!
HINTS: You may need to add a little more olive oil as you're pureeing it. The idea is for it to be smooth but thick enough to spoon onto the crostini.