• 8 slices country bread
• approx. 3/4 pound sliced smoked ham
• Dijon mustard to taste
• approx. 6 Tbs room temperature unsalted butter
For the sauce:
• 2 Tbs unsalted butter
• 2 Tbs all-purpose flour
• 1 1/4 cup milk
• 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (see hints below)
• steamed asparagus as needed (optional)
1. Assemble as many sandwiches as you like by spreading some Dijon mustard over both slices of country bread, topping that with 2-3 slices of smoked ham, pressing it together and spreading room temperature butter onto the outsides of the sandwich.
2. Next, to make enough cheddar cheese sauce for 4 sandwiches, grate 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and melt 2 Tbs unsalted butter in a heavy bottomed stainless steel pot, and then whisk in 2 Tbs all-purpose flour.
3. Cook that for a minute, whisk in 1 1/4 cups milk, and bring it up to a simmer.
Just as it comes to a simmer, turn the heat down a little bit and whisk in the grated cheddar cheese, and then turn the heat off.
4. At this point you'll want to cook the sandwiches just like you would any grilled cheese sandwich and, if you're using the asparagus, add it to a saute pan with a little bit of water and cook that on high heat with a lid on top.
5. Once the asparagus is done, drain it really well and, once the sandwich is done you can slice it in half if you like and serve it over the top of some steamed asparagus on a plate and spoon the cheddar cheese sauce over the top of everything.
HINTS: Although I used a generous 1/3 cup grated cheese in the video, using a generous 1/2 cup makes a more flavorful sauce.