Updated 08/16/2010 01:24 PM
Chemical explosion sends pool workers to the hospital
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
CHARLOTTE -- A chemical reaction and explosion in east Charlotte sent two people to the hospital on Monday.
Firefighters say the victims were working on a community pool on Spring Ridge Lane when it happened. They both work for sun homes properties. When the chemicals reacted, they got into the workers' lungs.
Fire officials say chemical burns are bad enough, but breathing in the chemicals can be even more dangerous.
"It very well can cause damage to the respiratory tract, so it's not a good thing," said Fire Marshal Jeff Bostian.
Officials say both men were licensed and trained to work with the pool chemicals. They are both expected to be released from the hospital on Monday.