· 16 ounces black-eyed peas
· 1/2 pound hog jowl, lean salt pork, or thick lean bacon, diced
· 1 cup chopped onion
· 1 carrot, peeled and diced
· 4 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
· 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
· 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 1 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
· 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
· 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
· dash Tabasco, optional
1. Rinse peas and pick over for bad or discolored peas and small stones; transfer to a medium saucepan.
2. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking for 5 minutes; set aside.
3. Put the meat in a large stock pot and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until fat is rendered.
4. Add the onion, diced carrot, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.