Updated 03/21/2012 11:38 AM
Committee CEO announces plans to incorporate minority-owned businesses in DNC
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
CHARLOTTE -- More details about plans for the Democratic National Convention were released Wednesday. The DNC committee CEO Steve Kerrigan held a briefing with 166 days until the kickoff of the convention to update the public about the ongoing planning process.
Convention organizers announced their plans to allocate at least one third of contract spending to minority owned businesses. In response, local civil rights attorney James Ferguson says he's all on board with this plan, he's just disappointed with how the DNC made this an "unprecedented" announcement.
According to Ferguson, who heads the Carolina Regional Minority Partnership Coalition, he met with DNC organizers twice on this issue and questioned whether their actions would honestly boost minority involvement. He said his group thought it would hear from organizers before their announcement last week. They were also hoping for the possibility at a joint press conference.
That didn't happen so he scheduled a press conference for Wednesday, not to criticize the one third decision, but to "simply let you know of our disappointment and the manner in which it was handled."
In response, Kerrigan said he's been in constant contact with Ferguson, considers him a great friend and looks forward to working with him on future projects.
"We look at our one third goal as a floor, not a ceiling," said Kerrigan. "We don't want to look at it as when you reach it, you stop. It has to be something that we always are aspirational about and try to exceed."