To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
• 1/2 gallon whole milk
• 3 lemons, juiced, no seeds
• 2 tsp. salt
• Cheese cloth, big enough to drape over the sides of the colander
• Tying string, 12 inches
1. In a stock pot, bring the milk to 175 degrees (careful - the temp will increase quickly and you could scald the milk if not watchful).
2. Once the temperature has been reached, carefully take the pot off the heat.
3. Pour the lemon juice in and give one good stir. Then stop stirring.
4. Cover and wait 15 minutes and the curd will have separated from the whey.
5. Pour curds and whey into cheesecloth lined colander.
6. Gather the sides of the cheesecloth, (careful not to let any curds slip out the sides), lift up and allow whey to drain for a moment.
7. Tie the top part that you are holding with the string (extra hands here are good) and leave several inches to hang it with.
8. Allow to hang in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
9. Untie and add herbs or seasoning as desired. Perfect for layering in Lasagna!