Apple crisp with maple syrup, dried cranberries and crystallized ginger
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
SERVES: makes one 9 x 13-inch baking dish
• approx. 3 pounds apples
• 3 Tbs lemon or lime juice (optional)
• 1/3 cup maple syrup (see hints below)
• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
• scant 1/2 cup dried cranberries
• 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
• 2 Tbs finely diced crystallized ginger (see hints below)
For the crisp topping:
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup light brown sugar
• 1 cup oats
• 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cubed
1. Before peeling and slicing the apples, make the crisp topping.
2. Combine 1 cup all-purpose flour with 1 cup light brown sugar, 1 cup oats and then add 1 cubed stick of unsalted butter and use your fingers to completely incorporate that.
3. Set that aside and turn the oven to 350 degrees and, while that's heating up, peel, core and thinly slice the apples. You're looking for about 8 cups total.
4. You could even add a little lemon juice or limejuice to the mixing bowl before adding the sliced apples and tossing to coat as you go.
5. Then add 1/3 cup maple syrup to the sliced apples, add 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, one scant 1/2 cup dried cranberries, a sprinkling of ground cinnamon and 2 Tbs of finely chopped crystallized ginger.
6. Mix it up, making sure the ginger is evenly distributed throughout the apples, and then place that into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
7. Evenly spread the crisp topping over the top and place it onto the center rack of the preheated oven.
8. That'll take just about one hour or a little bit more to bake.
9. Serve with plain yogurt, whipped cream or ice cream.
HINTS: Substitute light brown sugar for maple syrup if you don't have maple syrup. Crystallized ginger is peeled sliced ginger that is cooked in a simple syrup. Then cooled and sugared. You can buy it in country stores or specialty isles of larger super markets.