Smoked ham, egg, spinach and cheddar cheese melt sandwich
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
2 sandwich rolls (such as Kaiser rolls)
1-2 Tbs butter
approx. 3-4 ounces sliced smoked deli ham
approx. 3-4 cups fresh spinach
2 large eggs
approx. 1/3 - 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Louisiana hot sauce for garnish (optional)
olive or vegetable as needed for sauteing
1. Slice, butter the cut sides and toast the sandwich rolls in a large nonstick pan.
2. Take those out of the pan when they're nicely browned, add a little more oil and add two small stacks of thinly sliced smoked deli ham and warm that through and brown it up on both sides.
3. Place the ham on the bottom half of each sandwich roll, add a little more oil to the pan and add a generous amount of fresh spinach.
4. Once the spinach has wilted, divide it into two separate piles and add one large cracked egg to each pile and let it cook along and set up a bit.
5. You may need to add a little more oil to the pan and it's up to you if you want to break the egg yolks before flipping the eggs over.
6. Once you have flipped the eggs over, turn the heat way down and top each one with some grated cheddar cheese and put a lid on top to help melt the cheese.
7. Once the eggs are cooked to your liking and the cheese has melted, add one egg to each sandwich and finish with a little shake of hot sauce if you like.
HINTS: This sandwich is just about as good (maybe even better) without the ham.