Slow cooker beef chili with red beans and chipotle peppers
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
SERVES: 10 - 12
• 2 cups 1/4 -inch diced onion
• 2 large cloves garlic, minced
• 2 pounds lean ground beef (90 % lean is good)
• vegetable oil as needed for sauteing onions and beef (approx. 3-4 Tbs)
• 1/4, plus 1 Tbs cup chili powder
• 4 tsp ground cumin
• 1 tsp dried oregano (optional)
• 1 Tbs deseeded and minced chipotle peppers in adobo (or more to taste)
• 3-ounces tomato paste
• one 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
• one 15-ounce can diced tomatoes (or 3 15-ounce cans diced tomato total)
• 3 well drained 15-ounce cans red kidney beans
• 1 12-ounce beer
• salt and pepper to taste
• sour cream, grated cheddar cheese and chopped cilantro for garnish
1. Use a large heavy bottomed pan to saute 2 cups of diced onion in vegetable oil to soften.
2. At that point add 2 large minced cloves of garlic and cook that along for a minute and then add the 2 pounds of ground beef and cook that to brown up.
3. And then add a generous 1/4 cup chili powder, 4 tsp ground cumin, an optional sprinkling of dried oregano, 1 Tbs deseeded and finely minced chipotle peppers and half of a 6-ounce can of tomato paste and stir that together and heat everything through.
4. Add that mixture to the slow cooker and then add one 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes and one 15-ounce can of diced tomatoes, three well drained 15-ounce cans of red kidney beans, add one 12-ounce beer to that, season with salt and black pepper to taste, stir it up, set it to the "high" setting and put the lid on top.
5. It's not necessary but you can bake off a batch of cornbread while the chili is cooking and, after 4 - 5 hours, turn the slow cooker to the "keep warm" setting until you're ready to eat.
6. Serve with sour cream, grated cheddar cheese and chopped fresh cilantro.
HINTS: This recipe takes about 4 hours on high heat or 8 hours on the low setting but, either way, you need to brown the ground beef and the onions before assembling the chili in the slow cooker.