Lemon blueberry pound cake
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
SERVES: makes one 9 x 5-inch loaf pan
• 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
• 1 cup white sugar
• 1 loosely packed cup light brown sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 5 large eggs, room temperature
• 2 Tbs grated lemon zest
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 cup buttermilk (or regular milk)
• 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
• brown sugar sour cream:
• 1 cup light sour cream
• 1/3 cup light brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and lightly flour one 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
2. Cream the butter with 1 cup white sugar and 1 cup loosely packed light brown sugar and then add 1 tsp vanilla and 5 large eggs, one at a time. Once that is nicely combined, add 2 Tbs grated lemon zest and turn the machine off.
3. For the dry ingredients combine 3 cups all-purpose flour with 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt and then alternately add that to the mixer, on low speed, with 1 cup of buttermilk.
4. Remove the bowl from the mixer and use a spatula to gently add 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries to the batter and then add that to the prepared pan and place it onto the center rack of the preheated oven.
5. That will take just about 70 minutes to bake. Use a toothpick to check it for doneness.
6. Let it cool down for 10 minutes or so and then carefully turn it out onto a cooling rack.
While the pound cake is cooling down on a cooling rack, make the brown sugar sour cream by combining 1 cup light sour cream with 1/3 cup light brown sugar and whisking it up.
HINTS: Use a well buttered and lightly floured 10-inch Bundt pan instead of the loaf pan. If you do that though, pay attention to the cooking time. It might be different than the loaf pan.