To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
• Heavy Cream - 1 pint
• Salt -1 tsp
• Other herbs, seasoning, flavorings as desired
1. Pour cream into container with tight fitting lid (must be twice the size of cream).
2. Add salt.
3. Put lid on tight and shake it hard( this may take up to 10 minutes) - get the kids involved - it's fun!
4. You can put this on a mixer for several minutes instead, but that's boring!
5. It will go through several stages - thick, then looks like whipped cream, then finally it will break. That means is will feel like one tight glob sloshing in water. This is good.
6. Pour off the whey (milky water) and save the butter - it should look dimpled but mostly solid.
7. Press the butter with the back of a spoon and watch more of the whey seep out of it. Continue for one minute until smooth and tight.
8. Use "as is" immediately or rinse with fresh water and repeat step 7 and it will last up to a week in the fridge.
9. Enjoy "simple" or add herbs, spices or other flavorings.